Saturday, March 13, 2010
Well. . .yesterday our agency emailed us a new "adoption alert" about the new court protocols for families adopting from Ethiopia. Apparently, the new court procedures won't be implemented until May 8, 2010, but our agency mentioned that "The Network" (all agencies who assist families in adopting Ethiopian children) is attempting to negotiate a later implementation date to coincide with the annual court closures that take place in August due to the heavy Ethiopian rainy season. We are hoping for the August date because we will have received our referral with a court date scheduled before the court closures. I'm all for the new court protocols in order for the protection of innocent children, but financially speaking, we would be better off taking one trip. We have been typing in hypothetical trips to Addis Ababa with multiple airlines, and it looks as if round trip airfare is around $1,500 if we book several months ahead. The guest house costs $1,000 per couple per week. I don't even want to think about the cost if we have to book a flight quickly! However, if the courts decide to go ahead with the May 8th date, we will do what ever is necessary for us to get our babies home!!!!